Smart Sensors and Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Health
Joint Research Grant Call
The Institute for Health Innovation & Technology (iHealthtech) at the National University of Singapore (NUS) recently organised a joint workshop on Smart Sensors and Artificial Intelligence (AI) with participation from the National University Health System (NUHS), Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (SOM) and the Hybrid Integrated Flexible Electronic Systems (HiFES) programme of the Faculty of Engineering.
Arising from the success of this workshop, iHealthtech in conjunction with NUHS/SOM and HiFES are jointly launching a seed grant call to support projects in the area of “Smart Sensors and AI for Health”. We are seeking innovative Smart Sensors and Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology for health and medical applications such as disease diagnostics, patient care and monitoring, health data analytics and AI-enhanced therapeutics. Proposals can include innovations in advanced software or next generation hardware that provide impactful solutions to pressing needs in health, both in the hospitals and the community.
- This grant is open to applicants from iHealthtech, HiFES of the Faculty of Engineering, NUHS’s Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry and Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health only.
- Each proposal will be up to S$100K for a period of two (2) years maximum.
- This funding can be used to support manpower, small equipment and consumables purchases, and one travel conference.
- All applications will be subjected to a thorough peer review process by an expert panel.
- Principal Investigator (PI) will be required to submit a one (1) page annual progress report and a two (2) pages final report on the achievement of the project no later than 3 months after the end of the grant.
- Innovativeness (Is the idea novel and useful?)
- Translational Value (Does it address a substantial unmet need in health?)
- Collaborative spirit (Is the research interdisciplinary and involving collaboration with different faculties and departments within NUS and/or NUHS?)
- PI and team member’s track record (Is the team capable?)
- Potential for further industry or academic funding (What is the plan beyond this seed grant?)
Applicants for this grant must meet all of the following requirements:
- One PI is allowed to lead one proposal only.
- The PI and Co-Investigator (Co-I) must hold, at the point of application, a primary appointment with NUS (minimum from assistant professor onwards) and with a minimum of nine months resident service with the primary employer, NUS, per calendar year in Singapore.
- PI and Co-I(s) must have at least a PhD or MD/MBBS/BDS qualification.
- PI and Co-I(s) must have a laboratory or clinical research program that carries out research in NUS or NUHS.
- PI with multiple appointments is to select one host Faculty or Department for matters related to grant administration and finance.
- Project must be supported by respective Heads of Departments (or nominee) and/or Deans (or nominee) of each Faculty/School.
- Proposal should articulate plans to apply for future competitive external funding or technology commercialisation in the direction of Proof of Concept.
- Research projects must obtain full ethics approval (applicable for projects involving cells, humans or animals etc.) and other research-related approvals from relevant authorities prior to award of funding.
- Each project team must comprise members from at least two (2) different NUS Faculties/Schools with different academic background.
The following will NOT be considered for funding:
- Research that does not involve any collaboration with clinicians.
- Project teams already collaborating on existing grants.
- Funding is for new research ideas, not for supplementing existing projects or collaborations.
- Research that is conducted primarily outside of NUS or NUHS.
- Parallel submission of grant applications are not allowed. Applicants should not submit for consideration either similar versions or parts of similar grant applications.
Please click the links below for application documents and links:
Grant Endorsement Form
Please use the Grant Endorsement Form specific to your department if available.
Softcopy of submission should be emailed to email@example.com
Hardcopy to be mailed or hand delivered to iHealthtech, MD6, 14 Medical Drive, #14-01, Singapore 117599 (Attention: Dr Donny Liang)
All proposals should be submitted to iHealthtech Office by 06 Jan 2020
Enquiries should be addressed to Dr Donny Liang at firstname.lastname@example.org